0-5K and Beyond

Welcome to everyone reading this blog about my journey to become a runner. I will be training with The American Boot Camp Company over the next year and running in tons of races. Come train with me or join me in my next race! Let's get moving!
- "Boot Camp Hunter"

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Hey there bootcampers! Sorry for the long time away from posting, bear with me as I bring you up to date on my boot camp related activities over the past couple of months.

I ran the St. Marten's Episcopal School 5K on September 20th. I finished it in 27:45. Not my target time, but it was my first race since July 4th. It was a nice course with a few hills that made for an enjoyable run. Thanks to Chris and Mari Garner for helping me keep pace the last mile of the race. It was also an opportunity to reconnect with some fellow bootcampers from my old West Midtown location.

The last race that I ran was the MMRF Race for Research on October 26th. I finished this race in 25:13. I was very pleased with the time, but the course was a little short. It was only 2.9 miles long instead of the 3.1 miles of a full 5K. The course was a nice, fairly flat course along Freedom Parkway. It was a fun course. This was also another reunion race of sorts. I ran this race with my old boot camp instructor Collette and a couple of fellow bootcampers, John and Renee. It was good to see all of them and spend some time with them over a cup of coffee after the race. It was just like old times at the West Midtown boot camp location.

Alot of things have changed for me with boot camp since I last updated the blog. I survived the month of September at the Chastain Park boot camp location with no problems. Fortunately, I learned how to tackle the hills around the park and was able to bring my mile time back down to the 7:30 range. I must admit, that the long run course around Chastain Park is much more enjoyable than the course through Atlantic Station at my old West Midtown location. I have really enjoyed getting used to the new location and terrain. Plus the increased number of bootcampers and instructors has really made boot camp more enjoyable for me. In fact, I have been enjoying boot camp so much that I was asked to become an instructor. Can you believe it? Me, a boot camp instructor?!?!

The month of October was my first full month as a boot camp instructor. What a difference from being a regular bootcamper! I'm actually one of the people leading and assisting the bootcampers now. The transition has been interesting to say the least. The biggest change has been having to "lead" all of my fellow bootcampers. As one bootcamper friend stated, I've "gone over to the dark side." Don't get me wrong, being an instructor is alot of fun, but very different than being a boot camper. I'm really glad that they asked me to become an instructor. It has really renewed my excitement in and dedication to boot camp.

Although it has been a little strange being an instructor to some of my fellow bootcampers, I have really enjoyed meeting some of the new bootcampers. They know me as an instructor and it has been much easier for me to lead and instruct them as opposed to some of the boot camp veterans. I'm still not that comfortable with barking orders to some of the boot camp vets, but it gets a little easier everyday. I have found that I have a special talent at motivating the new campers. Telling them my story and discussing my boot camp experience with them has really helped me to motivate them and give them hope that they can truly change their lifestyle and help them meet their fitness goals. There are several campers from last month and this current month that I feel that I have really built a strong bond with.

I was unable to run a race during the month of November due to being out of town every weekend. My next 5K is the Jingle Jog on December 13th. This was the first 5K that I ran after starting boot camp last year. My previous time for this race was 31:20. I'm hoping to blow that time out of the water this year! I'll get some more information on the Jingle Jog and post it to my blog so that you can come out and join me. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: