0-5K and Beyond

Welcome to everyone reading this blog about my journey to become a runner. I will be training with The American Boot Camp Company over the next year and running in tons of races. Come train with me or join me in my next race! Let's get moving!
- "Boot Camp Hunter"

Thursday, April 24, 2008

You win some, you lose some: 4/24/08

Tomorrow is the last day of the April session of boot camp. The May session starts on Monday. Woo hoo! I get a whole weekend off before the next session starts. (I'm being very facetious just in case you didn't pick up on it.) We get to do our final test for the month tomorrow morning. I'm hoping I have improved on my 7:53 mile time. I'll get to see in the morning if I have lowered my time over the past couple of weeks.

I ran the Sprint for Cancer 10K this past Sunday morning. Finished it in 1:09:56. That's a whole 12 minutes slower than my previous one. I was so disappointed with my results. I was really tired during the race and I could really tell that my body was fatigued. My calves started burning about a mile into the race and never stopped bothering me. No matter how much they hurt, though, I never stopped running and kept moving the entire race. I shouldn't get down too much about it. I did just complete my second 10K ever. I believe that every athlete has their on and off days. Obviously, Sunday was an off day for me. I'm going to work harder and better prepare for the next race so that I can blow my previous times out of the water. I'll have to check the calendar to see when the next 10K is that I can participate in.

My buddy Jay ran this past race with me. It was nice to have both him and Denny with me the whole time. They both took turns motivating me and helping me through some of the more difficult parts of the race route. This is the first time that Jay and I have ever done anything together like this before. Most of our time together is spent hunting, going to football games, fishing, etc. You know, mostly doing "guy" things. The funny thing is, if you have known us since we were in school, that Jay and I are probably the last two people in the world that you would expect to see running a 10K. And there we both were...running the Sprint for Cancer 10K. We started together and we finished together. Two friends participating in an event together and using each other as motivation. It was a great moment that I'm sure both of us will cherish for many years to come. Jay has already talked about doing a half marathon or a sprint triathlon. We'll see what my next move is....

I'm running the Big Peach 5K next Saturday, May 3rd in Brookhaven. Come join me. Get the details at http://www.bigpeachrunningco.com/. I hope to see you there.