0-5K and Beyond

Welcome to everyone reading this blog about my journey to become a runner. I will be training with The American Boot Camp Company over the next year and running in tons of races. Come train with me or join me in my next race! Let's get moving!
- "Boot Camp Hunter"

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"Go Speed Racer Go": 5/13/08

I'm getting faster. We ran a timed mile on Monday morning and I finished it in 7:39. I couldn't believe it! Officially, I have taken over 7:00 off of my original mile time back in October. Can you believe it? My first mile time was 14:42, and now it's taking me 7:39 to run the same distance! My best time before that had been 7:53, and I really had to push myself hard to make that time. Monday's run seemed easier, and yet, my time was much faster. While running, I didn't feel like I was really straining myself too terribly much. I guess it's the additional weight loss as well as the everyday training that's adding to my increased speediness...

Speaking of speed, we had an old speedster show up this morning at boot camp. John came out today for the first time in a couple of months. He's been doing boot camp for awhile now, but has not been able to do it the past couple of months. He's always been fast and can run a consistent 6:30 mile or so. He was very surprised at how fast I have gotten when it comes to sprinting. There were a couple of times when I beat him when we were sprinting. Granted, I started out in front of him, but he never did catch me. It felt good to hear him comment about my speed. I might have gotten lucky by beating John in a couple of sprints this morning, but I am totally confident that he would wax me in any distance race. Maybe I could take him one day...

I ran the Big Peach 5K a couple of weeks ago. Finished it in 26:51! I was aiming to beat 27:00, and I did it! This was a huge boost considering that my finish time for the last race, the Sprint for Cancer 10K, was actually slower than my previous time. I've been pushing myself hard between each race so that I can continue to shave time off. The American Boot Camp Company helped sponsor the race and we had a large number of campers from different locations around town show up in Brookhaven for the race. I also saw quite a few friends of mine at the race as well. My buddy JJ ran the race with me. We started the race together; then I got out in front of him; then he passed me; then I caught back up with him. We finally finished the race together as we sprinted in to the finish line.

No comments: