0-5K and Beyond

Welcome to everyone reading this blog about my journey to become a runner. I will be training with The American Boot Camp Company over the next year and running in tons of races. Come train with me or join me in my next race! Let's get moving!
- "Boot Camp Hunter"

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

It's the second week of the June session of boot camp. We've had a couple of great workouts this week. Today, we used the tension bands. Once again, I completed the workout with the black bands. It was very tough using the strongest bands, but I could feel the burn in my muscles throughout the workout. I'm sure that's not the only time I'll be feeling pain in my arms and upper body. I'll probably be a little sore for the next couple of days.

I tried something new this past weekend. I attended one of the kickboxing classes at The Boot Camp Company studio in Brookhaven on Saturday morning. What a workout! The 45 minute class was awesome. I got a much better workout than I would have had I just gone for a jog. Needless to say, I'm still a little sore from the kickboxing class. The new workout forced me to use muscles that I normally don't use that often in boot camp. My calves and my arms have been extremely sore. I'm still feeling the pain in my calves. It's made these two workouts this week really interesting to say the least. I enjoyed the kickboxing class so much that I think I'm going to make it a regular routine in my weekly workouts.

I had a new experience last week and I'm looking forward to the same experience this week. I was in St. Simons Island last week for a conference. I got up each morning while I was down there and went for a jog on the beach. What an incredible experience of jogging on the beach as the sun was rising. The moment was almost magical. Taking the normal sounds of traffic and the hard pavement here in Atlanta that I usually experience while jogging and replacing it with sand and crashing waves was incredible. The runs seemed so much more relaxing and really helped me get my days started on the right foot. I'm heading to Ponte Vedra this week for another convention, and am looking forward to another couple of early morning runs on the beach. I hope the experience will be the same this week as it was last week.

I've got a few good friends of mine that have started boot camp this month. Unfortunately, they're doing it a different location than me, but it has been fun discussing our boot camp experiences together. I actually ran into a couple of them at the kickboxing class on Saturday morning. It was really exciting to run into them at the studio. I've also had a couple of other people contact me about signing up for boot camp. Many of them have heard me talk about it ever since I started back in October. I guess my constant discussion of my boot camp experience is helping to motivate some of my friends. Or it could be that there is a link to my blog on The American Boot Camp Company website...

I still haven't found a race to participate in for this month. I'm out of town this coming weekend, but am going to try to do one in the next couple of weeks. I'll keep you posted on what I decide to do. I'm planning on being in St. Simons again for the 4th of July this year. I actually found a 5K down there that is being held the morning of the 4th. I'm planning to run in that race to try something different. I thought about staying in Atlanta to run the Peachtree Road Race, but I decided to skip it and go to the beach for a nice little vacation. I'll let you know what I decide to do and keep you posted on my race results.

No comments: