0-5K and Beyond

Welcome to everyone reading this blog about my journey to become a runner. I will be training with The American Boot Camp Company over the next year and running in tons of races. Come train with me or join me in my next race! Let's get moving!
- "Boot Camp Hunter"

Thursday, March 13, 2008

The fat van, boot camp studio and big peach event: 3/13/08

We've had a good week at boot camp so far this week. I've enjoyed all of the workouts. Some of them have been repeats from previous months, but there has also been some new stuff added in to make them different. Today we had a first at the West Midtown boot camp location. Both Collette and Denny, our lead instructors, were not in attendance. Renee came in and subbed and did a wonderful job. It was a nice change to the everyday routine. Even though we did a normal workout, Renee's lead made for a nice change. It's hard to believe that we're almost finished with the second week of the March boot camp session.

I went to The American Boot Camp studio in Brookhaven last night for the first time. They had a mobile video gait analysis and a hydrostatic body fat tester show up for those of us who decided to come out. There were a good number of boot campers that showed up as well as others that participate in the sessions at the studio. The Big Peach Running Company brought out their video gait analysis for people to try out. You hopped on a treadmill and they filmed your gait as you ran. The analysis showed how your feet land when running. My gait was normal with only my left foot rolling inward a little bit. They discussed some different shoe options with me and gave me a form to take to one of their stores and get custom fitted for the right shoe for my feet. I'm going to try to go by there in the next couple of days to pick up a new pair of shoes.

After having my gait analyzed, I went and had my body fat tested. The hydrostatic body fat tester was an interesting contraption. I got in a big tub of water and did push-ups underwater while exhaling all of the air out of my lungs. While underwater, the machine was able to test my body fat. It took me a few times to get an accurate reading, but I eventually got it right. My body fat percentage is 29.9%. This is fairly poor for someone of my height and age. The test did show me, however, what my target weight and body fat percentage shoud be. It also gave me a breakdown of what my daily resting metabolic rate is and what kind of calories I can burn doing different types of exercises. It was really interesting to hear all of this. Plus, it gives me a great standard to work with and measurements to use as I continue to lose weight and transform into an active lifestyle. I can't wait to go back in several months and see what kind of progress I have made.

I've got the ShamRock 'N Roll race coming up on Sunday morning. I was originally scheduled to run the 5K race, but have since signed up for the 10K. This is going to be a tough race for me. I've never run that distance...ever. About the longest I have run so far is around 4 miles. I'm shooting to try to beat an hour. It's going to be a real challege, but I know Collette, Mari, and Denny will probably be with me the whole time encouraging me to keep going. I don't think I could do it without them. I'm a little nervous about it, but, at the same time, I'm excited and interested to see how I do. Come out and join me and the rest of the boot campers as we show up and conquer the Atlantic Station route. I hope to see you on Sunday morning!

No comments: