0-5K and Beyond

Welcome to everyone reading this blog about my journey to become a runner. I will be training with The American Boot Camp Company over the next year and running in tons of races. Come train with me or join me in my next race! Let's get moving!
- "Boot Camp Hunter"

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

ShamRock N Roll Success: 3/18/08


What an incredible past couple of days! I ran the ShamRock 'N Roll 10K on Sunday morning at Atlantic Station. I finished it in 57:25! Can you believe it? I ran a 1oK in under an hour! The clock was just hitting 27:00 when I passed the 5K finish line. That means I ran the second half in just over 30 minutes. This was a great pace that I was able to keep fairly constant during most of the race. I was really nervous at first, but really felt good during the race. Collette and Colin from The American Boot Camp Company stayed with me the whole time and kept my spirits up. I thought I was going to really struggle through the course, but I was extremely surprised at how prepared my body was for the long journey. I even had enough energy to finish the race strong and sprint the last leg of the race leading up to the finish line.

We had a nice crowd of boot campers that participated in both the 5K and 10K races. We had some special St. Patrick's Day themed shirts made up and everyone wore them during the race. You could easily pick out our group from the couple of thousand runners in attendance. Most of our group from the West Midtown boot camp location ran the races, and we even had a couple of people place in their age group. Aaron and Lisa ran the 5K. John, Renee, Elizabeth, Felecia, Michelle, Carolyn, Barrett, Collette, and myself all ran the 1oK. It was really nice to have everyone out there supporting each other. I can't describe how it felt to have some of them cheering me on when I was approaching the finish line.

Our workouts on Monday and Tuesday were very good and left me exhausted. We had a mile time trial on Monday morning and I finished it in 8:10. That's 16 seconds faster than my time only two weeks ago. My goal next time is to finish a mile under 8:00. I want to get to the point where I consistently break an eight minute mile. I think everyone in our boot camp class improved their mile times; some folks more than others. Tuesday's workout included the dreaded jump rope. It was a different workout that what we routinely do with the jump ropes. Felecia did a great job in leading us and really pushed us hard to complete the workout. My lower body really felt the pains of the jump rope workout.

My next race is the Sprint For Cancer on Sunday, April 20th at Atlantic Station. The big decision I need to make is whether I want to run the 5K or 10K. Whichever race I choose to run, I'm going to work hard to try to beat my previous time. At the moment, I'm torn as to which race to run. Part of me wants to tackle the 10K again, but the other half of me wants to run the 5K race and really blow my previous race time of 29:47 out of the water. I'll keep you posted as to what decision I make...

1 comment:

Felicia said...

I am so proud of your amazing effort at the 10K and I am confident that you will break that 8 minute mile next Friday. I'm glad you enjoyed the new take on the jump rope work-out and I'm also glad your legs are still feeling the burn :-)