0-5K and Beyond

Welcome to everyone reading this blog about my journey to become a runner. I will be training with The American Boot Camp Company over the next year and running in tons of races. Come train with me or join me in my next race! Let's get moving!
- "Boot Camp Hunter"

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Jumping rope brings back memories: 2/21/08

When was the last time that you jumped rope? It was probably some time back in middle school for me. Well, we did a jump rope workout at boot camp on Tuesday. I was in major pain afterwards. My legs were burning...especially my calves! Someone mentioned during the workout that jumping rope for 10 minutes is the equivalent of running 3 miles. I believe them. I was so worn out afterwards. It's been a while since I've been that exhausted after a workout. It was painful to experience, but it felt great to complete such a rigorous workout.

We had a very fun workout this morning. It was the free "Bring a Friend to Boot Camp Day" and we had 4 visitors join us for today's workout. We did a suicide type workout where we ran back and forth between cones and did different exercises at each cone. It's one of my favorite workouts that we do at boot camp. It's fast-moving and we are always doing something different to workout different parts of our body.

Got the Chastain Chase 5K on Saturday morning. I'm really looking forward to it. I actually went and ran around Chastain Park last Saturday afternoon in order to add some bigger hills to my run. I have a couple of small hills on my regular 3 mile route, but none as big as some of those around the Chastain golf course. It was also very nice to be back in my old neighborhood and to see some of the familiar sights that I haven't seen in a couple of years.

I'm hoping I can improve my 5K time on Saturday. I'm aiming to beat 29:02. The pressure is on me to perform well as several of my friends plus a large group from boot camp are running the race with me. I'm also praying that it won't be raining. It's going to be bad enough working out in the rain tomorrow morning. Hopefully, it will move on through and leave us with a dry Saturday morning for the race. I'll keep you posted on how I do. Maybe I'll see you on Saturday morning at the race...

No comments: