0-5K and Beyond

Welcome to everyone reading this blog about my journey to become a runner. I will be training with The American Boot Camp Company over the next year and running in tons of races. Come train with me or join me in my next race! Let's get moving!
- "Boot Camp Hunter"

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

First Day of Boot Camp at West Midtown: 2/4/08

Started boot camp today at the West Midtown boot camp location. The was the first group of 2008. It was tough getting up early and being out there by 5:45 a.m. again, but it felt good to be back at it. It was especially nice to see some familiar faces that I hadn't seen in a while. As well as meet some of the new boot campers. Fortunately, the rain had already moved on, but the ground was still plenty wet. I sometimes ask myself what in the world I'm doing when I'm lying on the ground working out in soaking wet clothes, but then I realize you have to make sacrifices in order to succeed.

The workout today was tough. I could definitely feel the burn that I hadn't felt in several weeks. I certainly could tell that my laziness over the past month had an effect on my body. I've tried to get up on my own in the morning and workout, but it's hard to do. It also felt good to have the boot camp instructors there with us while working out. Their constant encouragement really helps me make it through the workout.

One of the first day rituals of boot camp is doing the base line test which consists of the number of push-ups and sit-ups you can do in a minute and running a mile. My push-up numbers have greatly improved, but my sit-ups have only seen little improvement. I'm still trying to push myself harder and improve my core so that I can do more, but it's tough. My mile time did increase, mainly due to the fact that I haven't been running for the past month, but I was still able to keep it under 9 minutes. Considering that my best mile time is 8:29, I'm not too worried about reaching that point again and improving it.

This session of boot camp is going to be especially tough for me with my current work schedule, but I'm going to stay positive. I've seen great results so far and I don't plan on slacking off any. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

1 comment:

The American Boot Camp Company said...

I know you can do it Hunter! Have faith, keep a jump rope in your suitcase and always remember that YOU CAN DO ANYTHING FOR 15 SECONDS!

See you at the Chastain Chase on the 23rd!

Mari